Monday, May 9, 2011

A second admission


3/4/10  Thursday


“Roll back, press and push” Tai Chi Chuan
Teri feels good today. The sun is shining. Cards pour in.  Legan sends a soothing tape.  Teri and I hug and slow dance to it.

Anita and Henry, as is their style, cook and fix respectively.  After shopping together, Anita makes their mother’s specialties (lion’s head meat balls, beef with noodles, stuffed lotus root) and Henry fixes the bathroom fixtures.  Henry when visiting us in Columbus laid down a new bathroom floor and toilet during his ‘vacation’.  He has the engineer’s knack.

I go to pick up Dad at the airport.  For the last five days, he has been in Phoenix at a seminar on Chinese art.  The night before he left, he never mentioned that he was feeling under the weather, so we all had dinner with Teri and he looked fine.  He had a couple of good days in Phoenix but his cold had gotten worse.  At the urgent care clinic he was told he was OK to travel home on the 4th.  At the airport, I’m amazed to find him pale, with a raspy cough and labored breathing.  I drive him straight to the clinic, and after a listen, they send him to the Emergency Room.  After blood tests, chest x-ray, nebulizer, oxygen and IV, he is admitted one floor below Teri in pneumonia and/or congestive heart failure.

Wow, two members of the family admitted.  The silver lining – Teri and Dad are both in the same hospital!  I can see both with one fell swoop.  If I get a bed, we’ll all be together!  Thank God he made it home.

Teri says “all my visitors especially my family has helped me to be grounded, be here and present in mind and body and spirit.”  Kick Butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment