Friday, May 13, 2011

BMT Day +87 Turning around … in her own words.

Teri has begun to be Teri.  For the first time since the transplant on 2/15/11 three months ago, I can see that she has begun to regain her self, her spirit, her zest, her humor, her feistiness.  

In her own words today
“I don’t remember too much of what has happened this admission.”
“I was at my very, very, very lowest point during this admission.”
“I didn’t know if I had the strength or will to survive this admission because it has simply been too long, over a year.”
“This admission, I was completely carried along by others, by you, my [medical] team, family and friends who came [to support and comfort me].” 

Teri will start on NJ (nasojejunal tube) liquid feedings today.  She is allowed to eat but is not able to eat much.  She vomited last night.  She walked 50 feet for the first time in two weeks with the physical therapist.  She has a new problem – nephrotic syndrome – with substantial losses of protein through the kidneys.  The cause is unclear and further test results are pending.

Teri was visited by two special members of her medical village including one oncologist and one oncology fellow who have taken care of her in the past and with whom she has become close.

Today, I see the person I have known who has rediscovered her will to go on.

3 comments:

  1. Dearest Teri: Today's news is encouraging; you shall overcome. Thinking of you as always. Fondest love, Bobbie & Roy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Teri,
    Sending my love to you. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better, and feisty!

    Love,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is encouraging when there is good news, after so much bad news. Always thinking of you and your support group.

    ReplyDelete