Friday, September 2, 2011

BMT Day +199 Teri’s transition

Teri’s transition

By now, many of you know.

Our Teri died shortly before 2 am this morning in her own bed, in her special condo, on her own terms. 

She was not conscious and not in pain.  She tried to get a drink but spilled it on her self.  I had planned to stay up repeatedly the last three nights, but she seemed to stabilize her breathing pattern, so I tried to sleep. 

Beforehand, I have a long talk to her.  Then, I fall asleep.  Thinking that she would hold on until Ben returned this evening.  Mostly we have said what needed to be said at a time when she was responsive.

Rachel and I together and separately touch her and stroke her body gently.  We also hold each other.  We know it is the inexorable outcome but still cannot believe it has come to be. 

The hospice nurse comes to pronounce her and the funeral home arrives afterwards to remove her body.  I walk with her enshrouded body to their vehicle.

Before they leave, they make the bed as if to remove all impressions of her bed bound form.  It shocks me and seems to instantaneously erase the hospital environment that I’ve gotten so accustomed to.  But then the wheel chair, commode, medications, dressing supplies … are still in evidence.

It is empty without her.

She is at peace.  She is no longer suffering.  She has gone to a good place.

We are not ready.

Two pictures

Rachel picked out two pictures of her mother that we want to leave you with. 

The first is a pre-leukemia picture, taken at Rachel's wedding two months before she was diagnosed, and is the most recent photo from her well period,  It depicts her penchant for spontaneous fun where she was showing how to juggle three clementines at once.  She then got us all to play roulette together as a family and we beat the house!

.
The second is a post-leukemia photograph taken at Rachel and John’s place in Columbus, after achieving her second remission, a mere 10 aays or so before her transplant.  It shows her feeling good, acting herself, full of positive energy, and holding her beloved Jack who was #1 on her hit parade.


At some point, for those who could not attend the A-wake, we would like to create a photomontage of Teri’s life.

I call many family and friends.  Many call me.  I choke up repeatedly.  I tell my father who was very philosophical and says, “We are alone.”  Which is not true true, we have Jack …

I exercise briefly.

I drive to the funeral home and sign papers for her cremation.

Rachel, John, Jack and I go for a long walk on the River Walk along the Milwaukee River.

Rachel and I sort and organize five large bags of unused medical supplies, from depends, drugs, IV supplies, dressings, wraps … trying to find homes for these extras.  We return the oxygen generator, oxygen tank, IV pump, wheel chair, and commode to the supplier.

Ben arrives home.  He is doing OK.

Manu and Anjali bring an Indian supper of lentils, paneer, shrimp and cucumber/yogurt.  We have rhubarb-strawberry pie, Teri’s favorite, with vanilla ice cream. 

Raindrops from Teri

You may think I’m nuts.

After a short sleep I awake to find the sun bright in the east, the skies a deep hue of blue with a few scattered clouds, none overhead. 

All of a sudden, I felt sprinkling.  It continues.  I look for someone watering flowers on the balcony above me.  No one.

Teri and I are crazy about water, swimming in it every day in Columbus, living adjacent to the Milwaukee River, and snorkeling in it wherever possible in Caribbean locales. 

I believe Teri is sprinkling droplets on me to let me know she is up there, doing all right. 

It reminds me a little bit of Black Elk, the Ogala Sioux holy man, who summons a solitary rain cloud to drench him as he speaks to the heavens.  Not exactly, but good enough for me.

20 comments:

  1. Dear B, Ben, Rachel, John and Jack,

    I am so very sorry.

    Joan Ambo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear B, Rachel, Ben, John and Jack,
    Our family's love and sympathy goes out to you. Thank you for sharing her courageous journey. Teri is inspirational and will be missed.
    With love, Dina, Clinton, Elle & Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are so sorry to bear the news. Teri will be sorely missed but she will live on in our hearts. At least her long and painful struggle is over. Peace and love to you all. John and Cindy Lytle

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sympathy goes out to you. Thank you for sharing Teri's courageous journey. She will be greatly missed. She was a wonderful person, a wonderful teacher. God Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. B, Ben, Rachel - we're very sorry to hear the news. I've been thinking about all of you many times every day. Teri was a remarkable person and will be missed by so many people. We are all fortunate to have had her in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. B, Rachel and Ben,
    We are so sorry for your loss. We know how hard this time has been for everyone but know that Teri is at peace and looking over all of you. She was a special person and we are glad we got to share a short time with her. All our love Nancy and John Holman

    ReplyDelete
  7. B and Family,

    I am so sorry to hear the sad news of Teri's death. She was a wonderful person, and I will miss her, too. Thank you for sharing your journey together. What a very special connection you had, with so many good moments to remember. I hope that you will find peace together as a family during this sad time.

    Take care,
    Michelle Boehm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear B, Jack, Rachel, Ben and John,

    We are so sorry to hear the news. Our love and sympathy goes to all of you during this sad time. Teri is a great person and it's a pleasure to know her. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    Love,
    The Hastings (Lorraine, Mike, Christopher, Madeleine and Lorraine's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear B, Ben and Rachel, your dear mother, wife and friend teri has left a lasting impression on anyone who knows her. i will never forget her soft smiling face, her laughter, understanding, caring and just plain good ole fun. through this "kickingbutt" journey we have been with you every day and it has given me peace to know that you have been with her giving her strength every step of this journey. we will all know that those raindrops are our reassurance that she is watching us and with us. she will remain forever in our hearts. sheila and ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. B, if you watch, you will see many more signs after those raindrops. You just have to watch for them. Teri is right next to you, at your side. Every once in a while, you will palpably feel her. I know this to be true. You will see her again. My prayers and thoughts have been with you and your family, continuously, and will be over the coming days and weeks. Tammy Langhoff

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear All
    Our hearts are with you. We love you all and and it is so good to know Teri sent B a sign that she is OK. Ru, Jim, Elliot and Althea

    ReplyDelete
  12. I forgot to mention that I was out for a walk yesterday morning and also felt rain sprinkles when there was no sprinkler around. I hope that was also a nice sign from Teri. She will be greatly missed.

    Michelle Boehm

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear B, Ben, Rachel:

    There are few words to express my sadness at Teri's passing. As everyone has said, we will deeply miss her smile, compassion, love of live, caring and openness. While I only knew her a few years through my husband Herb and our mutual friends like Legan and Tomie, Winnie, Becky and others -- I felt like she was someone I knew all my life. She was truly a special person. Sadly, both Herb and Teri are now gone but I know they are somewhere smiling.

    Thank you for sharing Teri's journey with us. As a family, you gave every ounce of your love and passion to keep her going as I'm sure it meant so much to her. We are all thinking of you in these difficult days.

    Audee Kochiyama-Holman

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear B,
    Your courage is amazing. I do believe in the sprinkling of water from Teri. She is with you always --never forget that --and she is at peace.
    Our very best,
    Pam and Ed Eglinski

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear B, Rachel and Ben,
    Thank you for putting up this amazing blog. I feel like I am with you every step of the way during your long challenging journey. Believe it or not, the blue sky in Columbus also sprinkled raindrops. We know that Teri is living in our hearts. When I looked around my house, I have many things that remind me of Teri, the fish tank, the rice cooker which I use every day, even Teri's pink lacy Chinese wedding dress. She gave it to me before you left Columbus. I also have children's books at my school. I read them to my first graders during Chinese New Year. In my heart, Teri is always there with me, at home and at work. I realize how much I appreciate her friendship,kindness and generosity. She will live in my heart forever.
    Lily

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear B, Rachel, and Ben,
    I send my deepest sympathies and my appreciation to you for your willingness to share Teri with us throughout your trials. Teri and I have a special bond because we share a birthday, and she has been an inspiration to me for many years through her generosity of spirit and her love of family. I am fortunate to have her in my life, and I send my deepest sympathies to all who will miss her along with me. But her example of how to live survives in us, and I am grateful for her gift.
    Much love,
    Georgina

    ReplyDelete
  17. B, Rachel, Ben,
    My deepest sympathies for your tremendous loss. My thoughts ands prayers are with you; may your memories warm and soothe your hearts.
    Love Grace Yang

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dear Dr. B,
    We are so sorry to hear this. Your blog touched our hearts deeply. We admire Teri's courage and everyone's love in your family. God bless you all.

    ~kate with Tzu-Chi Northern CA bone marrow donation team

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dear B,

    I am so, so sorry to hear of Teri's passing. You and your entire family will continue to be in my thoughts, heart, and prayers during the weeks and months to come. And no, I do not think you are crazy...I think those were indeed raindrops from Teri.

    Suzanne Kloss (Cindy Lytle's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is still hard to believe Teri is gone. She was a wonderful friend to me from the time I arrived in Columbus in 1995, and will always remain in my heart. I remember how happy Teri was on her last visit to Columbus last winter, holding her pride and joy, grandson Jack. Even in the face of cancer, she was so brave and full of hope and especially full of love. It is with love I will remember her always. Aina

    ReplyDelete