Sunday, September 4, 2011

Aftermath

Calls and e-mails arrive from family, friends and colleagues, local, national and international.

Flowers arrive.  One from our neighbor was delivered by Teri’s friend-owner in the neighborhood, who didn’t know until the order came.  She was balling and speechless at the door.

The obituary written by Rachel appeared in the Sunday paper.

The house is suffused with Teri’s colors and objects.  I see them everywhere. 

I discover Teri’s notes every where, even inside drawers, to remind me to do something.  I’m overcome when Rachel finds a sweater Teri knitted for Ben’s first born.  I’m overcome again when I find a present for Rachel and John’s anniversary in December 2011.

Jack leaves his finger prints all over the doors, appliances and baby footprints all over floors.

Rachel departs today and it is sad to see all that positive energy drive away.  We are planning my next visit for Jack’s birthday.

We do several things in Teri’s memory.
- Rachel, John, Ben and I play Quiddler Teri’s recent favorite game, a card-based cross between boggle and scrabble.
- Ben & I go for a 25 mile bike ride.  It is my usual Sunday morning moving meditation.  It is a beautiful morning.  The sky is clear, the air crisp and the waters of Lack Michigan almost Caribbean azure.  We meditate at a Grant Park beach.
- I take my father and Ben for a lobster dinner at St. Paul’s seafood market, Teri’s favorite meal, and one which I took many of our family supporters to. 

Raindrops from Teri

I feel Teri’s continued presence. 

Neighbors and friends have reassured me I’m not crazy and related personal stories of similar experiences with a lost loved one.  That is helpful.

1 comment:

  1. B, Ben, Rachel(John), Mr Li

    I thought of my friend Teri all day Friday. As i drove to Central WI, I watched the most beautiful sunset I have ever seen. The sky was magical, painted in the most glorious color with whimsical clouds. The sun was a glowing orange ball, playing behind puffs of fluffy clouds of pure white.

    Then I called B. He told me that Teri died that morning. My heart was with your family. As I drove further, I saw the remnants of the huge storm. Trees were broken, some uprooted, branches everywhere. 7000 homes without power. I thought that the rearrangement of her molecules brought such an event, like the butterfly wing that causes the hurricane. Teri left behind her a wake with her immense power. To love, give, grow and nurture. Pruning...so to speak.

    Watching that lovely sunset, I thought "how perfect" "how like her" so much beauty.

    I know you will have each other to love and comfort...and finally she is at rest. It has been a long an harrowing journey that all of you travelled with love and grace.

    Elena

    I think of you every day.

    ReplyDelete