Thursday, September 28, 2023

Autumn in Rockies with a ‘moose detour’

Usually, I’m not in Colorado in September, I’m still up in Vancouver finishing my summer-long Chen Tai Chi 6-days a week bootcamp. Instead, this year I was to return in early September to attend a World Congress in Pediatric Neurogastroenterology at my former hospital Nationwide Children’s in Columbus. But the gods had other plans and touched me with COVID 3 days before departure. I delayed my departure and quarantined for the mandatory 5 days, and snuck home still positive/infectious. Then with visions of a super spreader … I canceled the conference trip but gave my talk – on cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome – virtually, infectious and coughing, but I did it!

I have recovered and the golden lining has been to view for the very first time the magnificent yellow and orange fall colors of the turning aspen in the Rockies. This is made possible by Pat and David, both former graduate students of my father, close friends who facilitated my entry into the neighborhood and uber experienced hikers. I share some images of Rocky Mountain National Park and the adjacent National Forest between 9,000 and 12,000+ feet where the blue sky is bluer, the air is thinner, the aspen thicker, the water clearer and moose can block your trail and cause a 3 hour detour to the destination. Enjoy – Bridal Veil Falls, Chapin Trail and Trail Ridge Parkway (highest highway in the US), Chipmunk Trail with two cow moose and South St. Vrains Trail with tall aspen.

No comments:

Post a Comment