Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Six weeks, six stops ending on Mother’s Day


It began at Chen Tai Chi ‘boot camp’ in Vancouver where I averaged 2½ hours a day such that ambulating became arduous.  Despite my age, I’m learning and understanding faster and deeper but each time I have to correct bad habits developed practicing solo back in the States.  Sadly, it was the last time I saw my friend Don who passed away within 3 months of discovering a brain malignancy (see previous blog).  Dogwoods were in full blossom. 

In Louisville (pronounced Lewisville), Pat (Japanese art historian), David and I hiked above Boulder in the spectacular Flatirons with spring green and thorny blossoms.  We walked through their dream Japanese-styled house in progress, went to the Denver Art Museum and met the Asian Art curator, and visited with another Asian art curator/collector. 

Flatirons south of Boulder
Ben is within stone’s throw of finishing one of the most intense 4-year Emergency Medicine residencies in the country.  Hooray for surviving and even thriving.  Theresa works from home and has created the most stimulating environment for Flora. Both deftly share responsibilities. I enjoyed taking her to her Montessori Academy.  She smiles effusively, eats for up to an hour at school, comes to me easily, and appears to be a bit strong-willed.  Hmmmm.
.
Pounding out another day at the office
In Baltimore I was overwhelmed by the national Pediatric conference at the Convention Center.  A nice dinner with the few GI speakers in attendance.  I discovered the Walter’s Museum extensive collection of 19thC British art.  On demand rental scooters (Uber) zipped everywhere along sidewalks, bike lanes and streets, yet another glimpse of the future.  Someone yelled “Dr. Li!” in the colossal hallway.  I turned around and there were the two Robbins sisters who did summer research for me in Columbus now all grownup both pediatricians and parents!  What a sheer delight to catch up after two decades.
Robbins sisters, pediatricians and parents
Onto DC where I entered the depths of the Freer Gallery storage to view ancient Chinese paintings with my octogenarian buddies Margaret (Chinese ink artist) and her husband TC from Houston.  Inches away from our eyes, paintings dating to 978 CE (1041 years old!), one from the 14thC on which my father wrote a monograph, and 16thC Chan (Zen) Buddhist paintings by Bada Shanren thoughtfully juxtaposed next to two of Margaret’s
Hong Xian aka Margaret Chang
paintings that reside in the Smithsonian.  A tie to my father – this is what he did for a living!  And a Leonardo DaVinci, French impressionists on one side and Rothkos, Calders in the opposite East Wing.   
Baton runner, not twirler
Swingin' Jack Hammer

Then to NJ where little Jack’s baseball plus his advanced math might add up to baseball analytics.  Naomi runs track like the wind and now keeps up with the boys … hopefully she outrun them later on.  Rachel is catering her special dumplings and John just started growing another pharmaceutical firm.  Read to Jack’s class.  In NYC, despite serious agoraphobia, I climbed up and down the Escher-like Vessel at the head of the High Line next to Hudson Yards.  Caught up over lunch with Leo and Marilyn a former colleague at Ohio State.  

The Vessel - outside

And in
Flying home, I sat next to an engaging woman from Minnesota who shared a picture of herself with her commentator son Pete Hegseth on Fox News at 8 am that same Sunday morning to celebrate Mother’s day.  We spoke over 2 hours on all kinds of issues – diversity, women, Asian Americans, family, kids, grandkids and she asked about Teri.  After she had listened closely she perceptively observed, “You are still learning from Teri!” I responded yes, she is still teaching me how to be a better person.  What an unexpected revelation from a stranger!  We all still miss her, especially on Mother’s Day … 

Happy Mother’s Day, Teri.

No comments:

Post a Comment