Sunday, May 26, 2019

Memorial Weekend in Lawrence KS


With fresh lilies in hand, a visit to my parents’ graves to communicate with them and Teri as well. But before I went, I reviewed all that has transpired – good and bad – since Teri’s passing in 2011 ...

Organizing Teri’s ‘awake wake’ and memorial gathering
Establishing the Teri Li Award for Young Educators in Pediatric Gastroenterology and an ongoing endowment
Working while taking care of my declining father 22/7 for 3½ years – unpredictable day to day
Organizing my father’s memorial gatherings - in Milwaukee and Lawrence
Resolving my father’s estate - including flying to HK
Sorting all of his academic papers – the half in Chinese with the help of an art historian
Donating his papers to Taiwan National University – his desired choice consummated
Donating his remaining books to Arizona State – altogether these papers and books took 2½ years
Cataloging and properly storing his artwork – with the help of 2 art historians and an art organizer – took 2+ years

Retiring from the Medical College – yeah 
But, continuing to give talks, write articles, edit UptoDate, mentor students, fellows and faculty, review papers and write letters of promotion
Traveling 75+K miles/year to see family especially grandkids Jack, Naomi and Flora, friends including a bunch of 80-92 year old younguns, and colleagues ... and give a few talks and view artwork
Traversing the globe for both work and play – Vietnam, Cambodia, Canada, China, Kenya, Tanzania, Netherlands over the past 12 months
Maintaining an ongoing base in Vancouver (especially if we get Trumped again) – onsite 4+ months/year
Receiving two career awards in Pediatric Gastroenterology – Murray Davidson Award from the American Academy of Pediatrics 2012 and the inaugural NASPGHAN Master Educator Award 2018
Receiving the MCW President’s Inclusion and Diversity Award 2018 
Receiving the APAMSA 25thYear Anniversary Mentor Award 2018 - 2018 was quite a year for this retiree

Learning to live on my own! A relearning experience and life makeover.
Undergoing and surviving 4 elective surgeries – 1 with complications
Improving my health through intermittent fasting, eating more plant protein, taking antioxidant tea and suppments and practicing Tai Chi
Becoming a serious practitioner of Chen Tai Chi – with a bonafide master in Vancouver
Undergoing therapy to deal with Teri’s demise, my Tiger mother and my distant father – and in the end, coming to peace with them, my life and all of its challenges
Learning about Chinese ink art through auditing courses, reading my father’s monographs, and now extending his collection – he would be proud

Selling my father’s condo
Selling our condo - last Tuesday
Downsizing to a 10’X10’ storage locker and 1 room of furniture!!!
Moving to Madison

I didn't realize ...

With brimming thoughts, I told all three that I was in a good place, doing well in body, mind and soul and, most importantly, that I had come to peace with both of them (my parents) and my recent challenges.  After what I’d been through, I think all three, especially Teri as to how much I’ve grown as an individual and both parents as to how far I’ve come professionally and personally, would be proud of me.  That felt really, really fulfilling.  I told them that for the very first time … I felt I was finally and fully free and ready to move forward with my life.  

As I walked back to the car with good friends Helen and Norman – my father’s friend, KU colleague, remodeler and caretaker – I expressed my feelings of being unburdened and emotionally buoyant while tears welled up.  They both put their arms around me. 
May 26th, 2019 (on Dad's 99th B-day)

No comments:

Post a Comment