Friday, April 6, 2018

An award, Mom’s writings, my wanderlust and a surprise

An award

Good things sometimes occur post-career and as I joked ‘posthumously’, that is when you’re done and least expect it.  Two weeks ago, the Medical College awarded me a Diversity and Inclusion Award for my long-standing, ongoing work with Asian American medical students.  You may recall that I founded the national APAMSA (now 90 med school chapters) in 1995, served as faculty advisor for four different local chapters, and continue to speak at many medical schools and conferences most often about countering faculty profiling as passive.  I did this under the radar as being proactive in diversity (as a ‘soft’ area vs. hard science) was not in my time an avenue to academic recognition.  Yet, despite that, it has been my most rewarding give-forward passion, to share my avuncular advice.  An opportunity to reflect on the many wonderful Asian American medical students I have met, advised, mentored, employed, counseled and attended weddings (and even officiated one!).  Whew. 
Again, B is misspelled  (no period!)
My comments at the ceremony:
• My appreciation to MCW Office of Diversity and Inclusion and President Raymond for this wonderful award.  Let me thank two parties.
• First, my student leaders from APAMSA sitting there – please stand up.  When I suggested we find a way to recognize their many contributions to Hmong health in Milwaukee, they turned around and instead nominated me.  And so here I am.  The respect is deep and mutual.  I want to note that for their Hmong Health Project (health education, health screening, student mentoring, radio shows and health fairs), the MCW chapter has been selected the National APAMSA Chapter of the Year for an unprecedented 4 years running!
Our MCW APAMSA Chapter leaders - the best
• Second, my wife Teri Li who passed away prematurely due to leukemia.  Besides being a grandmother and a Montessori teacher, she volunteered regularly in food pantries.  She was my shining example of someone who treated everyone she encountered with respect regardless of race, ethnicity, gender orientation or socioeconomic status.  I accept this award in her honor. 

Teri's favorite Jasmine explodes and exudes fragrance at  this time ...
I received a nice compliment and note from Dr. Raymond about my continued involvement with APAMSA and Teri.

Mother
In combing through my mother’s papers last week, I discovered a letter my mother wrote in Chinese about my great grandfather and grandfather (who passed away when I was 3 in Hong Kong).  After translation, I gained another deep root in my tree.  She published Sweet and Sour a book of Chinese folk tales for middle school readers and several short stories about her experiences during war torn China and its aftermath.  And guess what, I found a trove of her unpublished stories.  As I have with my father through his writings, I have another unique and unexpected and welcome opportunity to appreciate my mother.  

Wandering about …

As I have been trying to discern why I travel so much, escape, discovery, walkabout, sabbatical … I just realized that it was foretold in the 22 places (and 46 transitions) I’ve lived/stayed.  Thanks to my father’s sabbaticals, my early experience akin to an army brat planted that restless seed.

Thru high school
Iowa City, IA                      
Oberlin, OH
Bloomington, IN
Cambridge, MA
Princeton, NJ
Hong Kong, CH
Taichung, TW
Kyoto, JP
Lawrence, KS

College, med school, residency
Princeton, NJ
Kyoto, JP
Kansas City, KS
Cuba, NM
Ukiah, CA
Topeka, KS
Halstead, KS
Madison, WI
LaCrosse, WI
China (17 cities during 52 days)

Professional life
Memphis, TN
Columbus, OH
Chicago, IL
Milwaukee, WI
Vancouver, BC (back and forth)

Cumulative stays
-          Japan 9 trips totaling 10 months (my favorite country)
-          China/HK 17 trips totaling 8 months
-          Canada 27 trips totaling 12½ months

A surprise

Ben and Theresa are going to have a girl! 


No comments:

Post a Comment