Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Reminders and Vancouver

For those new to the blog or just returning, here are some highlights:
Oct 25th:  Award dedicated to Teri
Sept 29th:  A photomontage of Teri's life
Aug 31st (BMT +197):  Awake wake - more photos
Aug 27th:  Awake wake 'A celebration of Teri's life'

Reminders happen.

Last Tuesday evening, I spoke to Asian American and other minority medical students about how to choose a specialty.  At my table, an Iranian-American student had heard me speak previously on the differing expectations during the 3rd year on the wards.  As part of that talk months ago, I had spoken about Teri’s BMT and why it was so important to join the bone marrow registry.  He cited points I made in detail.  Then he pulled up his sleeve and - wow - showed me the green plastic ‘kick butt’ bracelet that was handed out to donors way back in the spring.  I couldn’t believe it.  I showed him mine!  Teri’s supporters are still kicking butt. 

I promised Teri to take my father to Vancouver. 

On the plane we watched photos of Teri and my trip to Venice, Florence and Rome just four months before her diagnosis.  He was enthralled despite having been there a number of times.  “Too bad, you can’t go back to Italy with Teri.”  No, it won’t be the same.  Yes, I can go back.

Getting there.  Things work out.

The key to the condo was stolen and the lock had to be rekeyed.  But, trying to get cleaners in, the concierge was unable to open our door.  Anticipating that we would be up a Canadian creek without a paddle on a Saturday night, I had the locksmith come last week to straighten it out.  The cleaners cleaned and our key keyed.

Anticipating the need of another set of arms, I had Emily, Dad’s former PhD student, to pick us up at the airport.  Wheel chair assistance allowed us to bypass a huge queue of arrivals on China Air.  We went from touch down, through customs, baggage claim, final clearance to exit in < 30 min.  I couldn’t believe our luck.  It probably won’t ever happen again.

In fact, we exited so quickly we forgot to pick up Dad’s walker.  When we realized it and returned later, all the counters were closed.  No one answered the Delta line.  Whoops. The information people were unsuccessful and asked us to return the next day. I wasn’t sure we could transport Dad down the long condo hallway without it.  Discouraged.  We found another information staff – woman with that resourceful twinkle – who after getting no responses, somehow managed to find our original wheelchair driver who had been trying unsuccessfully to reach us by phone.  Lo and behold.

Vancouver is full of memories. 

Teri loved Vancouver.  She set up the household and stamped it with her attention to detail and stylish flair.  She felt at her best of anytime during the 19 month ordeal during July 2010 after her first rounds of chemotherapy, in remission.  Rachel (incubating Jack), John and Ben were here as well.  She ate like a lioness.  Her sticky rice, rolls made to order, the spinach/egg/bean thread bingzi pastry, the xiao long bao (Shanghai steamed dumplings) with vinegar/ginger garnish ... fresh lobster and especially crab with ginger and scallions.

THE BEST DIM SUM, HUGE DUMPLINGS, BURSTING WITH FLAVOR.  THE BEST COMFORT WON TON NOODLES WE’VE HAD.  Supposedly #1 or #2 in North America, competing only with Toronto and Hong Kong.

I retrace our steps of July 2010.  I drive to Terra Nova Park, past the Olympic skating oval, where we saw the bald eagles, but they are gone.  I walk to Diaso the Japanese $2 (Canadian equivalent to US) store to buy a few items where she had so much fun shopping.  I amble to the food market where they made her favorite fresh sticky rice rolls.  It makes me nostalgic, and sad that she is not here to enjoy her favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment